How to Strengthen Your Immune System For Cold and Flu Season
It’s baaaaa-ack. Cold and flu season is right around the corner. Time to boost your immune system!
Peak cold and flu season usually hits between December and February each year. If you’re sick of getting sick every winter, keep reading for actionable tips to help you stay healthy during cold and flu season. Discover 5 easy ways to strengthen your immune system, the natural way.
5 Tips for Staying Healthy During Cold and Flu Season
The immune system’s job is to fight off infection in the body. Each person’s immune function is unique and impacts their ability to fight off illness.
The flu vaccination doesn’t fully protect you from illness, so even if you’ve had a flu shot, it’s important to take additional steps to boost your immune system.
How can you boost your natural immune function to stay as healthy as possible? Here are some easy but effective suggestions:
- Wash your hands
Washing your hands is one of the most important tools for fighting off colds, flu and other sicknesses. According to health care providers and the CDC, handwashing can prevent about 20% of respiratory infections. Soap and water are all you need. When soap and water aren’t handy, use a bottle of natural hand sanitizer or homemade hand sanitizer to fight off germs.
- Get more sleep
Getting enough sleep allows your body to recharge and promotes overall wellness, which helps fight off cold and flu germs. Studies show that lack of sleep is associated with lower immune response.
How much sleep is enough? Experts say adults need 7 hours of sleep or more per night. Infants and children should get up to 14 hours of sleep, and teenagers should aim for 8-10 hours.
If you’re having trouble sleeping, you may be tempted to try a pharmaceutical sleep aid. Unfortunately, prescription sleeping pills can have unpleasant and unsafe side effects.
One of our favorite natural solutions for sleep is PureCalm™ Nighttime, an all-natural herbal supplement that promotes calm moods and restful sleep. It contains Valerian Root, a go-to for inducing sleep. The liquid drops support soothed nerves, relaxed moods and the natural transition to sleep. For more sleep tips, check out our Why is Sleep Important blog post.
- Manage your stress
Mental health and physical health are intertwined. A positive mental state can support your overall health. Feelings of stress and anger can actually negatively impact your immune system, leaving you more at risk of getting sick. By staying mindful of your mental energy, you can help your body stay healthy during cold and flu season.
- Exercise regularly
Increasing your activity level can strengthen your immune system. Exercises like walking, biking and hiking are all good options. These activities don’t need to be strenuous to be beneficial. A 30-minute walk every day (or even 10 minutes three times a day) can help you lose weight, improve your overall health and strengthen your immune system.
Improved blood flow from exercise is believed to support the immune system by helping move immune-boosting properties throughout the body.
- Eat better
A nutrient-dense diet rich in vitamins and minerals is important to help your body fight off germs. Immune-boosting vegetables and fruits support gut health and contain antioxidants like Vitamin C, which fights inflammation.
Immune-boosting nutrients play a big role in how strong your immune system is. Some of the most well-known nutrients that support immune function are:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Beta carotene
Avoid sugars and refined carbohydrates as much as possible. These ingredients promote inflammation and obesity, which can depress the immune system and leave you more susceptible to colds and flu.
Remember to stay hydrated. Dehydration impacts organ function and digestion, and can make you more prone to catching a cold or the flu. Proper hydration boosts the immune system.
Do supplements help strengthen your immune system?
Even the healthiest diets can have nutritional gaps. Vitamins and supplements help fill those missing pieces. Some of our favorite natural remedies for immune support during cold and flu season are:
- ImmunityPlus™, a liquid formula herbal supplement that supports immune system health, routine cellular health, liver health and overall well-being.
- Immune Defense™ – 14 Mushroom Blend, a synergistic blend of 14 certified organic medicinal mushrooms. This liquid formula supports immune health, especially through times of chronic stress, promotes healthy energy levels and improves strength.
- KiddieBoost™, to promote healthy immune function and support blood flow throughout the body. Specially formulated for toddlers and kids over 12 months old.
- Elderberry+ Immune Support™, to help restore and support immune function. Formulated with free radical-destroying antioxidants found in immune boosting powerhouse elderberry fruit.
A healthy immune system is your best defense against cold and flu season. To prepare your body for the upcoming months, take action now to get your immune system in top shape.
- Ayuda, T. “7 Ways to Boost Your Immune System for Cold and Flu Season.” Everyday Health. Accessed September 29, 2022. https://www.everydayhealth.com/pictures/boost-your-immune-system-cold-flu-season/
- “Fight off the flu with immune-boosting nutrients.” Mayo Clinic. Accessed September 29, 2022. https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/fight-off-the-flu-with-nutrients
- Dunkin, M. “6 Immune System Busters & Boosters.” WebMD. Accessed September 29, 2022. https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/10-immune-system-busters-boosters#1
- “Overview of the Immune System.” National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Accessed September 29, 2022. https://www.niaid.nih.gov/research/immune-system-overview
- “Flu Season.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Accessed September 29, 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season.htm